Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A not so unlikely conversation!

Any and all resemblance to anyone is purely coincidental.

Characters:

1. Sanjay Arvind Gore.
Male, about 5'10", late twenties, black hair, straight nose, wheatish complexion, brown eyes, strong
chin, good looking in a rugged way. Effect increased by a scar on the chin
.

2. Aditi Mangesh Pangarkar. Female, pretty in a homely way, of medium build, slim, fair, about 23-24

Stage:

(Sunday evening, mid Jan, around sixish in the evening. Sanjay standing in front of a coffee shop. Looking around like he is waiting for somebody. Muttering oaths to himself, under his breath. Looks like he is waiting for some time and his impatience is taking over. Aditi walks over, looking a bit nervous. A little shamefaced.)

Aditi: Ummmm.. Sanjay??

Sanjay: Yes.(Smiles. Bites back his temper at being kept waiting). And you must be Aditi!(Gives her an appraising look from her feet to up)

Aditi: Yes. (Thinking to herself "How many girls were you expecting to see!". But still a bit bashful because the Sanjay's look).

Sanjay: Let us walk in! I have booked a table for us.(Failed attempt at bluster.)

(Both walk in and sit at a table for two in the corner of the shop.)

Sanjay: So.... what would you have to like? (Realises his mistake. Aditi giggles.) I mean, like to have?

Aditi: Ummm.. anything is ok. I like Chocochino, though. But anything you order is ok.

Sanjay: Chocochino?? Anything to eat?

Aditi: No. I dont eat much in the evening.

(Sanjay orders a large Latte and a small Chocochino)

(A minute or two of silence. Both looking a bit embarassed to continue conversation. Mostly looking at their hands on the table, stealing glances at each other.)

Sanjay: (Suddenly gushes) My mother told me about you. (Realises that might not be the best possible start and falls back silent.)

Sanjay: Why dont you tell me about yourself? (Looks very pleased with himself at this sudden burst of imagination!)

Aditi: What do you want to know? I am 23, working for an IT company for the last two years. Before that, I did my engineering from XYZ college at Pune. What about you?

Sanjay: Well, I was onsite in Dallas for 3 yrs working for ABC corp. They are out biggest client you know. I have been in LGF for 6 years now. I have just become a project manager. I have 19 people working under me. I have recently bought a Swift! And I own a 2BHK in Wakad (Slight pause after tirade. Then another burst of inspiration) Which is your favourite hero?

Aditi: Shahrukh Khan. Your's? (Thinking to herself, it's not which, Mr Project Manager, its who!)

Sanjay: I dont have a favorite hero! (This time succeeds at pompousness!) I am not very interested in movies. They are so mundane! (Hoping he is sounding intelligent.)

Aditi: So, what do you like?

Sanjay: Well, after finishing work I dont get any time to do anything else. I try to work out at the gym regularly, but apart from that.....

Aditi: Do you read? I love to read!

Sanjay: I read newspapers and magazines. (Then as an afterthought). I dont get much time, you see. What do you read?

Aditi: Fiction, mostly. I watch lots of movies and stuff. And I like to go out to trips too.

Sanjay: (Snidely) Well, do you watch Saas-bahu serials? (Then laughs at his own clever humor)

Aditi: No, not much. I dont watch too much TV. Do you like sports?

Sanjay: Yes. I played cricket for my class. I am the captain of my team's cricket team now. I open the batting and bowling for them!

(Coffees come. Another period of silence and they put in sugar and stir it)

Sanjay: I may have to go onsite again, in a while. So you may have to quit you job and come with me.

(Aditi, choking, at this sudden change of topic and the unprovoked attack on her career!)

Aditi: My H1 has been processed this year and even I may get to go onsite. And I have given GMAT too. I will apply in a year or so!

Sanjay: Well, MBA in US. Isn't that very costly? How do you plan to pay for it? (Implying that the girl's father bloody well take care of it. He's not going to pay for her MBA!)

Aditi: Well, I thought of getting an admission first, then worrying about the fees. (Implying that if he intends to marry her, he ruddy well start saving money!)

Sanjay: Yes, yes. Good idea! But anyway, we are veering from the topic. The chances of ours getting onsite in the same city is difficult, so if we dont you can quit your job. You can come with me and then do an MBA from some local college.

Aditi: (Looking slightly rebellious) My score is 720! I can get in a very good college!

Sanjay: But what will you do with an MBA! Eventually, we will have kids and you will have to take care of them.

Aditi: Well, its good we are getting it out in the open. I am not planning to have kids for the next 5 years at least. And it will be so much better, if we can adopt a kid and just avoid all the messy stuff!

(Sanjay laughs and then smothers it, as he cant decide whether she is being serious or not! Completely at a loss to say anything. Sanjay had thought that his flat at Wakad and his new car would blow the girl off her feet! So just sips his coffee. An uncomfortable moment of silence, ever lenghtening!)


Aditi: Dont you want to further your education and add value to yourself?

Sanjay: (Thinking about it for a moment) Well, I am in a good position, arent I? Why do I want to quit my job and learn more. I am looking for a part time MBA from ASD institute.

Aditi: Hmmmm.... So you just want to settle down and have a few kids?

Sanjay: Yes, and you want to get an MBA and have a glorious career?

Aditi: Yes. Can you cook?

Sanjay: (Slightly enraged at the implications of the question!) Well, I can make chicken!

Aditi: Well, I dont eat non-veg, so you will have to quit it! I cant bear the stench of nonveg in the house!

Sanjay: (Sputtering, now completely shocked out of words!) But why do I have to quit it?

Aditi: Well, you expect me to quit my job and come with you? Is quitting non-veg such a large expectation? (Conveniently ignoring the fact that she has no intention of quitting her job)

Sanjay:(Finally regrouping his forces and launching an attack.) Can YOU cook?

Aditi: Yes. I can make dal and rice! And maggi!

Sanjay: Thats very good! (Looking around for an escape from here!)

(The waiter comes asking if they want anything else. Sanjay grabs him and asks for the bill! The bill comes. They haggle for a while on whose going to pay the bill, before deciding to go dutch! They pay the bill and leave the hotel!)


Sanjay: Do you want me to drop you home?

Aditi: No. My boy friend is waiting for me at the corner!

Sanjay:(Blanching) Okay. Good bye, then! I will call you sometime!

Aditi: Yeah, sure! No probs! Bye!

4 comments:

Rashmi said...

He he he he... ha ha ha ha ha... I've had such conversations with people!! :-D

Good Girl said...

Very interesting... :) nice ending I must say, but I feel it's way too unrealistic. No guy would accompany his gf to meet her prospective groom and to top that wait round the corner! :D
But it was a very good read. Makes me wonder, was it a real life experience? :p

Unknown said...

i dont want to make any comment but i didnt like this blog,very unrealastic... ab mujhe pata hai tu mujhse jaghda karne wala hai :)

Unknown said...

Very unrealistic. May Rashmi can provide some real life incident.
:)